The Agribusiness Association of Iowa was formed in 1994, as the result of a merger between the Iowa Grain & Feed Association and the Iowa Fertilizer and Chemical Association.
The Iowa Grain & Feed Association (IGFA)
The IGFA was organized in 1899 by a group of 150 elevator operators who realized many benefits could be gained within the industry by united action. The organization was first known as the Iowa Grain Dealers Association. In 1907, the Association organized as a separate corporation, and in 1908 became known as the Western Grain Dealers Association. The IGFA represented the largest state grain and feed association in the United States. Membership peaked at more than 800 grain, feed, fertilizer, and farm supply businesses.
The IGFA was the voice of Iowa’s grain and feed industry. The association offered technical advice and services to member firms, provided legislative and regulatory services and insured grassroots representation with Iowa’s elected officials in the U.S. Congress.
Iowa Fertilizer & Chemical Association (IFCA)
The IFCA was created in 1964, to promote the use of fertilizer, agricultural chemicals, and other economic plant food carriers in Iowa, and assist in educational and research programs. In 1969, with a membership of more than 500, the leaders of the IFCA saw an opportunity to even further enhance the objectives of the Association and merged with the Iowa Agricultural Ammonia Distributors. The newly formed Association experienced tremendous growth in the 1970s and 1980s and became the largest state fertilizer and chemical association in the United States with a membership base of nearly 1,400.
The early visionaries who recognized the importance of a unified voice in legislative and regulatory matters and that presence was the driving force of the IFCA. The IFCA also worked very hard to promote the responsible use of fertilizer and pesticides and was actively involved in a number of statewide projects designed to protect water quality and preserve the environment.